Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bus Driver Saves Woman

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) - A TriMet bus driver said he was just doing what he felt was right after witnessing a woman being beaten along the side of the road Wednesday afternoon. Larry Porter said he was driving from the bus garage to the first stop of his Wednesday afternoon shift when he saw a man repeatedly hitting a woman on a grassy field along Southeast 96th Avenue near Division. "As I was getting closer, no one stopped to help her. People honked, but they kept going," said Porter. That's when Porter decided to pull over and step in. "As I got closer to Division, she broke loose and tried to run, and he ran across the field and caught up with her and started wailing on her some more, so I pulled my bus over and yelled, 'Hey guy, police are on their way,'" said Porter. "He started hitting her even faster, so I secured my bus, ran and knocked him down, and secured him until police showed up." Porter says it seemed like the man and woman may have known each other and appeared to be fighting over a cell phone. Whatever the reason, Porter, a husband and father of daughters, says he knew the beating had to stop. "I was just doing what I hope any man would do when they see someone who needed help," said Porter. "You see someone who needs help, you help them. I don't care who they are. You just do it. That's the right thing to do," he said. Portland police responded to the call, but a spokesman says he's not sure whether anyone had been arrested. He said officers looked for the victim but she may have walked off before they arrived, according to a spokesman. Source: Fox 12 Oregon - kptv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment